- Lobby and pre-game room UI is now fully responsive and takes up screen dimensions based on the device. This also makes the game much more iframe-friendly.
- Improved the networking layer to make it more reliable. Disconnects should be less frequent.
- Fixed game rooms not getting deleted long after the host left.
- Fixed victory/defeat sometimes not being accurate at end game screen.
- You no longer get a reconnect screen when your oppenent goes to another tab.
- Background now blurs when you return to the lobby from a game. In-game UI elements, such as the mini map and unit info box should disappear.
- Lobby music plays upon returning to the lobby form in-game.
- Find game button now appears at end game screen after playing a non-multiplayer game.
- Changed the port websockets used to 80. This should result in more stable connections as firewalls are less of a problem.
- Fixed the lobby ui appearing off-screen after game ends.
- Reduced the maximum height on players list so the list won't overflow on small screens.
- Disabled screen-scrolling by default for the game embedded in iframes.
- Disabled Google translate Chrome feature as it ruins game performance.
- Added Russian translations for important UI text.
- Removed a bunch of the slow loading maps from auto-matchmaking.
- You should no longer get a reconnecting screen before the game has loaded.
- Re-enabled alternative transport methods, including XHR polling, as a fallback to websockets.
- Reduced blur on lobby background game and removed slow motion so the background game plays at normal game speed.
- Updated socket.io to the latest for both the server and client.
- Made some adjustements to the networking layer. Disconnects should be less frequent.
- Added two new servers: Europe 2 (Paris, France) and US West 1 (LA).
- You can now manually aim and fire the guns of your units by holding down the right button while the units are selected. The units will shoot in the direction you move the cursor. If the cursor is outside the range of the unit, the unit will continue to fire to their maximum range. At soon as you release RMB, units go back to auto targeting and firing.
- Update music files with final edits and live drums.
- May have fixed the bug where players would get a reconnect screen every 20 seconds or so. Because this bug is so difficult to reproduce, I cannot know for sure if the fix works.
- Players in room ping will update every 5 seconds instead of every 20.
- If the server restarts and you are in the lobby, you will not properly rejoin the lobby.
- Fixed units sometimes not dying on all clients.
- Disabled the ability to click current selected unit icons as that causes selection box issues.
- Mantas no longer turn to a location you send them to if an enemy is neaby.
- Underscores should no longer appear in place of spaces in "Now playing" music text.
- The UI no longer changes opacity when you mouse drag.
- Updated the system hotkey text table in menu settings.
- You are now restriced to playing game modes specified by the map uploader.
- Fixed a bug which caused battleships to not die properly.
- Fixed Weaver not taking up population.
- Control-A now properly deselects all units first and will not select scouts.
- Battleship bullet speed increased from 2K pixels/sec to 3K. Changed the bullet size (cosmetic) and removed bullet shadows on its triple cannons.
- Fixed end game screen bug which caused your next game to crash.
- Enemy aircraft now turn smoother in multiplayer games.
- The auto-matchmaking finding players text now properly updates when you change servers.
- Fixed ground units not going to maximum range when you click to attack something outside of range. I also made some adjustments to ground unit targeting like canceling the current path when you click to attack. In short, click to attack should work a lot better now for ground units.
- If you are not the host of the room, you still see the same interface and if the host leaves and you become the host, you will be able to use all the hosts' buttons (e.g. start game, add ai).
- Fixed the battleship scaling strangely in multiplayer games.
- Manta no longer looks paranoid, constantly turning around when idle.
- Set the default server to Europe 1.
- Changed ping color levels. Anything less than 125 is green, between 125 and 250 is yellow. Greater than 250 is red.
- Disabled standard game tutorial showing in death match.
- Observer can now see icons of all the unit types and counts for every player in the game. The type and count icons appear in the same place (top right) as the unit type icons you see when not in observer mode.
- Observer can now select units and view info about that unit.
- Added a small box below the player list in the main lobby. The box has some social media links and the account name you are currently logged in, along with a link to your account profile and match history.
- Unit info now shows the DPS with bonus damage taken into account.
- Implemented auto-matchmaking. Enter auto-matchmaking by hitting the "find game" button in the lobby. Free players will be able to auto-matchmake for the deathmatch 1v1v1v1 game mode and paid players will be able to auto-matchmake for both deathmatch and standard 1v1 game modes. In the future, I may add more game modes to auto-matchmaking for paid players, including 2v2 standard and 2v2 deathmatch.
- Implemented a new unit: the weaver. The weaver is an advanced anti-air unit which can be built from the tank factory. It is meant to be a relatively cheap (25 ore, 50 carbon) upgrade to the merk if air units are giving you too much trouble in the mid game. It is slightly faster than all mechs as well (220 pixels/second vs 200) and shoots homing missiles (170 DPS to ground and 300 to air) which never miss, regardless of how fast the targeted unit is moving. Weavers are also relatively tanky compared to mechs with 1200 hp (the merk has only 900).
- Workers will no longer lose their inventory when they cancel harvesting to do something else.
- You should no longer get a "server full" message when the servers are not all full.
- Redid all player colors other than player 1. Previously, the unit textures were created by doing a hue shift of 72 degrees on the player 1 texture. I now use an increment of 150 degrees, giving the units a more distinctive look. Player 2 (once purple) is now red, player 3 (once dark red) is bright green and player 4 (once yellow) is light purple.
- Fixed a game-breaking bug which was caused by game start functions being run more than once.
- Fixed 2 server-side errors which sometimes broke the game you were in.
- Unlock building UI should properly disappear at the end of a deathmatch game. They should also appear below other in-game interfaces (like the resources tab).
- When a host leaves a room and there is still 1 or more people left, those people are no longer kicked. Instead, someone else in the room becomes the host.
- Shrunk the unit info window and made it appear only when appropriate. The unit info box also no longer receives input events (to allow move clicking to the bottom right of the window).
- Fixed the observer not being able to see worker lasers and effects.
- You can no longer add AI in Deathmatch as the AI I wrote is meant for standard mode.
- Ore is no longer drawn to the map in deathmatch, regardless of whether it exists in the map file.
- Removed the idle button in observer mode or non-standard game modes.
- Fixed some padding issues in the pre-game room.
- Fixed and re-enabled the tutorial.
- Adjusted some of the unit sound volumes.
- De-saturated the tech lab and tank factory so they fit the color balance on the other buildings.
- Fixed lobby online players list showing the same person twice.
- Fixed ping colors not showing properly in the "players in room" dialog box.
- If a player surrenders and goes to another tab while more than 1 person is still left playing the game, those people will not get a reconnecting screen for the tabbed-out player.
- Fixed full screen button not working.
- Weaver default hotkey now working.
- Weaver build time increased from 5 seconds to 12 (oops).
- ELO change now appears in proper format in match history (e.g. [old rank] +/- rank gained/lost).
I had a lot of fun playing in the first official Strike Tactics tournament, "just for fun," last week. There was a lot of funny and surprising moments. I plan to make it a weekly or bi-weekly thing and anyone who wants to host can get in contact with me on discord. Hopefully the next time around there will be a prize pool. Many thanks to Dissonant for volunteering to cast even though he doesn't know much about the game yet (bombers attacking workers, seriously!?). Watch the full tournament with the youtube playlist below.
- Implemented change server functionality. In the lobby, you can now change servers using the gear icon in the top right. Clicking the gear will show a list of all available servers, the number of players on each server, location, ping, etc.
- You can set a home server from the change server interface (see above). If your home server is up, you will automatically join that server when you first load the page. If you have never set a home server, you will automatically join the server with the lowest latency (ping) when you first load the page.
- The old test node server on AWS will no longer be used or available in the server list. I've added two new servers: US East 1 (New Jersey) and Europe 1 (Amsterdam). These servers should be much more performant than the AWS one, mainly because they are not sharing resources with the LAMP web server. I will continue to add more servers in different locations in the future.
- Ping text is now color red, yellow or green based on ping quality.
- Game room URL now shows the server so players who use the link will join the appropriate server. Also, you can now manually join a server by providing the URL parameter (e.g. striketactics.net/play?server=europe1).
- Added security against script injection in map files. You should see a warning if a malicious script is detected in community uploaded maps.
- Console cheating is no longer possible.
- Fixed game sometimes breaking after a deathmatch.
- Fixed dialog boxes going behind other dialog boxes.
- Fixed the position of close button on dialog boxes.
- Fixed game-breaking bug related to worker lasers which would sometimes break the game after you finished a match.
- Fixed empty game rooms not getting deleted and the same player being listed multiple times in the player list.
- Hotkeys should no longer be reset every time I make a change to game options.
- You should no longer get error alerts in the lobby when one of the data cells (in the games list table) is undefined.
- Fixed problem where some adblockers (particularly ublock origin) would break the game due to an unusual conflict between 3 unrelated softwares: the apache Google pagespeed module, adblocker and the google analytics script. Adblockers now safely block the google analytics script without breaking the game. Good luck to anyone who runs into that problem.
- You can no longer manually target buildings with bombers in deathmatch.
- Prevented players from joining a server if it is full.
- Updated text user receives if the home server is down or full, and therefore unable to join.
- Fixed "connecting" text showing permanently in the map editor.
- Now when you enter the map editor, no connection to multiplayer server will be made (which improves performance).
- Added a "Remove all textures" button to the map editor.
- Revamped the map selection screen to make it cleaner. You no longer need to scroll down after clicking a pagination link. Also added several filter options: official, community, game type, # of players and the abilitiy to search for a map by name.
- Added author text to upper right of map thumb in map selection screen.
- Fixed a bug related to the workers laser which would cause the game to randomly crash.
- Informational messages/prompts now showing in map editor.
- When you save a map the file name will now be the same as the map name.
- Changed text in unit range info from "m" to "pixels."
- In the map editor, you are now limited to how close you can place ground textures for performance reasons.
- Updated Javelin unit description to read that it does not do splash damage.
- Fixed a server-side issue which may have caused crashes when a player leaves.
- Players online list should no longer say "8 players online" when you first load the page.
- Fixed the carbon mining tech tooltip text.
- Overhauled Peregrine and gnat so that they fire less discriminantly. Gnat is no longer a suicidal unit but a cheap, ore-based light fighter (counterpart to the manta).
- Increased Peregrine health from 690 to 1100.
- Gnat cost set to 25 ore.
- Camera focuses on your Command Center when the game begins in Deathmatch.
- Server now sends a message letting everyone else know when one player has surrendered (mostly applicable to non-1v1 games).
- Now when you click a single unit, a window will appear with unit information.
- Tech complete sound now plays when you unlock a unit in Deathmatch.
- Time to kick player for disconnect reduced from 90 seconds to 60.
- Fixed bug which would cause you to not be able to use hotkeys.
- Fixed a bug which would cause you to be stuck only chatting to allies when you weren't even in a game.
- Fixed a major bug which was caused by the unit recycling system (units would sometimes be invisible to enemy players).
- Leaving the tab and going back to it in multiplayer games no longer causes game to break in certain circumstances.
- Cleaned up Four Forests (Deathmatch map).
- Fixed games becoming ranked when there were more than 2 human players.
- Techs no longer required to be unlocked (like units) before you can purchase them in Deathmatch.
- Fixed tiered upgrades costing gold in DM.
- Fixed units not starting in the correct spawn and on the wrong team in Deathmatch.
- Fixed selection box showing when placing a building.
- (Hopefully) fixed the problem where units change color when a player leaves.
- Carbon-based units and technology are cheaper in Deathmatch.
- DM max pop reduced from 100 to 60.
- Stealth tech now makes bombers invisible on the radar instead of needing to be manually clicked to attack.
- Stealth tech cost is now 100 carbon.
- Increased droid build time from 15 to 18 seconds.
- Demolisher health increased from 3K to 4K.
- Silencer bullet damage increased from 150 to 200.
- Bomber bombs damage decreased from 200 to 180.
- Fixed bug which caused your newly spawned units to have the wrong color/team when another player leaves the game.
- You can now place units in the map editor. Currently, your units will only spawn in "Deathmatch" but i plan to add a custom game type which you can tag the map with when you upload. In the custom game type, no command center with workers will automatically spawn and your units created in the map will spawn.
- Gunships (i.e. air units that tend to clump) will no spread out slighly upon first being selected. This is a dirty hack but gets the job done (of seperating clumped air) with no impact in performance.
- Added clouds to map on observer mode because the map feels boring and static without fog of war.
- Added a new "Deathmatch" game mode. Currently, DM can only be played on the new map "Four Forests." DM is a 4-player free-for-all, but can be played with at least 2 players. In DM, you start with a pre-built base and your objective is to destroy the enemy player bases. There is only one resource (energy) which automatically accumulates from your power generators. Protect your power generators to protect your income. You can also earn energy for each enemy unit and building you destroy. Currently, earn 50 energy for each unit killed and 100 for each building. Use your energy to build more units, unlock stronger units and purchase upgrades to units. There is also a giant healing pad in the center of your base.
- Editor now loads start positions from map file so you do not need to recreate them each time you load the map into the editor.
- UI sounds now play in map editor.
- Units should not get accidentally selected when placing a building.
- Ionic Thrusters tech appearing twice fixed.
- Made some improvements to reconnect logic in multiplayer games. You should get "reconnecting" less often.
- Fixed line height on lobby chat which got jumbled when your chat was more than 1 line.
- Removed broken tutorial.
- Observer mode now works again.
- Fixed bug where you could place infinite buildings at no cost with shift.
- Fixed selection box showing while holding shift.
- Dialog boxes no longer close when you hit escape.
- Clicking map thumb in pre-game room will no longer close the lobby dialog box.
- Fixed build unit icons appearing outside their box.
- May have fixed the bug where units will sometimes not go to the location clicked on the mini map. Because I was unable to consistently reproduce the bug, I'm not 100% sure this fix will do the trick.
- Disruptor Cannon blast radius increased from 75 to 175.
- Manta unit AI for computers reverted to same logic for humans.
- Slowed the worker collection rates signifigantly (~50%).
- You now spawn with 10 start workers instead of 6.
- Command Center supply increased from 10 to 15.
- Slowed down gunships from 240 max velocity to 220 max velocity before Ionic Thrusters tech and from 280 max velocity to 260 max velocity after Ionic Thrusters tech.
- No longer showing bullets on the mini map if the shooter is not visible through fog of war.
- Fixed networking error which forced you to refresh the game after a game was finished.
- Fixed scout not spinning after spawn.
- Fixed game ending after one player leaves in a free for all or multi-team game.
- Disable shift as a possible control group.
- Deathmatch prototype fixes: power generators now generate 3 energy every 3 seconds instead of 2. Added more power generators to the back of each base. When you unlock a building, the first unit in that building will be unlocked.
- Fixed seed button not working in map editor.
- People who could not scroll in some directions should be able to scroll in every direction now.
- "Window Scroll" is now an option in the settings menu and is no longer dependent upon hitting the full screen button. The default is to enable scrolling.
- Fixed battleship cannons not auto-targeting.
- Fixed Battleship top-right icon appearing distorted.
- Battleship cannons now fire less discriminately, turn faster and range increased from 600 to 900.
- Added a control point to the center of the map in Deathmatch to de-incentivize base camping. You earn twice the supply cost of units inside the circle in energy, every 3 seconds.
- Clouds now show when you first load the map editor
- Fixed bug which would cause enemy units to not move in multiplayer games.
- Fixed survival mode which was broken since the .85 patch.
- Now display warning message for people not using Chrome.
- Added ST logo to the load screen.
- Start workers now auto-harvest carbon upon spawning.
- Added some form validation on the chat for security.
- Rank checkbox now toggles visibility based on whether the game is eligible for ranking (e.g. if a computer is in the game room, the game is not eligible).
- Each user in the logged in user list in the lobby links to their ELO and match history screen.
- Map now reveals at the end game screen.
- Revamped lobby UI fixing a lot of bugs and visual glitches along the way. The chat area is much bigger and the background game is blurred in the new lobby.
- Cleaned up the menu button graphic.
- Fixed double burners showing on AI or enemy player units.
- Implemented handling for various networking edge cases, such as both players disconnecting simultaneously.
- Made some slight performance improvements for games involving AI.
- Fixed victory/defeat sometimes displaying inaccurately.
- Turrets build time reduced from 40 sec to 35 sec.
- Bombard Cannons no longer do damage in an area. Bullet damage increased from 60 to 300. Turn speed reduced from 300 to 50.
- Laser Turrets are now stronger against air and weaker against ground with bonus air damage increased from 10 to 15 and base damage reduced from 10 to 5.
- Javelin cost changed from 150 ore, 50 energy to 100 carbon, 50 ore.
- AI are now significantly smarter and more challenging, particularly in the early game.
- Computer surrenders faster.
- [EXPERIMENTAL] Increased population max to 100.
- [EXPERIMENTAL] Removed energy entirely. Stuff that used to cost energy now costs carbon instead. Power generators are no longer a build option.
- Bomber damage increased from 140 to 200.
- Manta damage increased from 35 to 40.
- Can no longer enter scripts in chat.
- Turned blast marks back on.
- Fixed being able to join games already in session.
- The manta, when controlled by an AI, will maneuver in the air while attacking to simulate human microing.
- Added a sound for tech completion.
- Manta, harpy and droid now spin to their death.
- You can now see the number of units being produced in a building's queue overlaying the current selected icon when the building is selected.
- Redid the explosion flash effect. It should be a lot more noticeable now.
- Added "Ionic Thrusters," a gunship speed upgrade tech. After researching, your mantas, harpies and ion cannons will be faster and easier to control with increased maximum velocity and acceleration.
- Added "Advanced Radar" tech which increases your line of sight by 25%.
- Added "Pulsar Cannons" tech which upgrades the gladiator cannons to fire a mortar-like round which does area of effect damage. The gun firing rate and bullet speed is slower but damage is signifigantly increased.
- Reduced bandwidth usage for people in the lobby.
- Reduced bandwidth usage by ~40% for people in a game by using numeric indices instead of human-readable property names on network packets.
- Reduced default music volume.
- Converted some unit names and tech names in system message to human readable (e.g. "tier_1_mining" complete to "Tier 1 Mining complete").
- Aircraft burners no longer visible on death.
- Fixed stealth sometimes being applied to enemy AI units when you finished the research.
- Fixed the bullfrog gun animation.
- You can now only research one tech at a time (no queueing at the tech lab).
- Ion Cannon, Manta and Harpy no longer fly torwards their targets but stop as soon as they get in range.
- Ion Cannon, Manta and Harpy can now move very small distances.
- Gunship speeds in tooltip are now accurate.
- Prevented bomber bombs from exploding before they reach their destination.
- Command Center build time increased from 40 to 60.
- Mech Factory build time increased from 30 to 40.